Before we begin – we would like to preface by saying that the preferred method for deploying this agent is via a standard deployment tool like SCCM or Landesk, rather than through Group Policy (GP). This is because we can only provide an EXE version of the agent. (We’ve stopped using MSI files a long time ago when we saw that the best way to install AND uninstall is via an executable and not through the standard windows installer).
Standard GP deployment is performed by using MSI files only, but by using a simple “workaround” we will show you how you can deploy our agent even through GP even if it’s an executable.
If you insist on deploying MSI files only, there are many tools out there that can wrap our EXE and make an MSI out of it, but we leave that up to you as we don’t offer any support for this kind of process.
Get the SoftWatch agent
Actually you probably already have it as as link to it was sent to you right after you registered, but if for some reason you lost the registration email or if you are simply looking for the latest version of the agent, you can always find it in your web portal under “Admin -> Windows agent”.
Extract the package
Inside the downloaded agent file there should be several files. The largest one is the agent and it should be called:
Please extract that file and place it in a shared network drive, that will be available to all and mapped as a drive on each machine in the network. In this example we will assume that you will have placed the file in P:\installs
Make some OU/GP changes
- Create and save a new batch file with the following command in it:
if exist "C:\Program Files\OptimizeIT\CollectIT Service\*.exe" goto END
if exist "C:\Program Files (x86)\OptimizeIT\CollectIT Service\*.exe" goto END
- Add a new policy to your group policy in Active Directory
- Open “Computer Configuration”=>”Windows Settings” and go to “Scripts”
- Enter the “Startup” option and click on “Show Files” in the “Startup Properties” window
- Copy the batch file to the Scripts Startup folder
- In the Startup properties click Add and then Browse and point to the batch you have just created
- Click OK as many times as necessary to close this window
Please note that this will only work for users who are local admins as they will be ones executing the installation.